How do you celebrate Earth Day?
Earth Day was this weekend. So, what can do you do to make our planet a little bit "greener"? Here are some practical tips for the home and office:
- Instead of using disposable bags at the grocers, bring your own reusable bags. You'll divert a lot of plastic from landfills and use less petroleum (that's what makes plastic bags!).
- Replace your incandescent bulbs with energy saving CFLs -- Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs.
- Wash laundry in cold water instead of hot.
- Turn off lights in rooms you are not using or if you leave a room.
- Fix leaking faucets to conserve our water supply. The average leaky faucet drips once every two seconds equalling 30 drips per minute, which equals 43,200 drips per day or 2.85 gallons a day!
- If it's not being used, then unplug chargers and appliances.
- Completely shut off computers at night.
- If you are going to replace an appliance, replace it with an energy efficient one.
- Reuse scrap paper by printing on both sides.
- Recycle used printer cartridges, cell phones, MP3 players, DVD players and other electronics. You'll not only divert e-waste from landfills, it could put money in your pocket, too! Businesses, check out Environmental Office Solutions; non-profits and individuals, check out CC Cash.